About Lock Haven University
Welcome to Lock Haven University
Whether you are a first-time visitor to our site, or a returning guest, we are pleased to provide you with information on our university. Located in central Pennsylvania, along the banks of the Susquehanna River, students come home to The Haven not only for excellent educational opportunities and career preparation, but for so much more. Within the pages of our website, we hope to give you a better insight on how Lock Haven University can help you make your dreams reality.
Lock Haven University was founded in 1870 as the Central State Normal School. Over the years the concept of being an exclusively teacher’s college had changed, and so did our name. In 1926, we became State Teacher’s College at Lock Haven, in 1960 Lock Haven State College, and in 1983, we became Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania, after joining the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. In 1989, Lock Haven University proudly opened its Clearfield campus in Clearfield, PA.
5.9% students from
|Average Class Size||29:1|
|Average GPA||3.23/4.0 with academic/college
|Average SAT||949 (critical reading and math scores only)|
|Average ACT||19 (composite score)|
|Average Class Rank||49.7% of students are
in upper 2/5 of class
From our humble beginnings with our first hundred students, to more than 5,000 students in 2013, Lock Haven University proudly offers 60 undergraduate programs and certificate programs with 40 minors. Master’s programs in education and health sciences are also available.
We welcome you to browse our site, get to know us better, and always encourage you to visit! And as always, we encourage you to Follow Your Passion and Embrace Your Possibilities...Come Home to The Haven.
LHU Fast Facts
- Lock Haven University is located on the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in the scenic mountains of central Pennsylvania, a few minutes off I-80 (exit 178).
- The historic town of Lock Haven boasts a vital downtown with tree-lined streets and beautiful Victorian homes in a safe and quiet environment.
- Lock Haven is less than an hour from State College and Williamsport and four hours from New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and Pittsburgh.
- Our Clearfield campus (an hour to the west) serves traditional and non- traditional students.
- Undergraduate enrollment: 4,202 on the main campus, with 319 in Clearfield.
- 42% male, 58% female.
- 5.9% of undergraduates from outside Pennsylvania, including 23 states and 23 other countries.
- Diversity: 10% African American , 2% Hispanic, 1% Asian, 1% International, 85% Caucasian.
- Graduate enrollment: 396.
- 49 majors and certifications with 47 minors.
- Most popular majors include: education, sport, and recreation management, health sciences, criminal justice, business, psychology, social work, communication media, and biology.
- Master's Programs in education, counseling, sports studies, and health sciences (Physicians Assistant).
- Degrees awarded (2013-14): 899 bachelor's, 103 associate's, 158 master's degrees.
- Average Undergraduates class size of 29.
- Honors Program available for qualified students.
- Growing number of programs and courses via distance education.
- All students complete an internship or other "real world" experience that connects learning to life.
LHU Offers . . .
- Technology: student laptop initiative, SMART boards, and wireless access in classrooms.
- Global perspective: 120 students studied abroad in 2013-14 (we offer programs in over 20 countries) and 120 international students enrich the climate on campus.
- Active learning: internships and field experience, service, and undergraduate research.
Faculty and staff
- 575 full-time employees, including. . .
- 251 full-time faculty – 85% hold earned doctorates and 14% represent the ethnic minorities.
- Courses are taught by faculty members, not graduate students or teaching assistants.
- Student faculty ratio 29:1.
- Average High School GPA: 3.23 (4.0 scale) with academic/college preparatory courses.
- Average SAT: 949 (Critical Math and Reading only). College BoardCode (CEEB/SAT): 2654.
- Average ACT: 19 (Composite)
- Percent of applicants admitted: 93.4%.
- 18 NCAA Division I and II athletic programs, including 2009 NCAA Division II softball champions.
- Over 150 Clubs and organizations.
- Club and Intramural sports, movies, theatre, jazz and marching band, student government, cheerleading, dance, student newspaper, ROTC, and much more.
- Lock Haven mascot is the Bald Eagle and our colors and crimson and white.
- Second Year persistence rate: 68.3%
- Graduation rate 31.6% with 4 years, 48% within 6 years
Within six months of graduation:
- 96% percent of 2012-13 graduates were employed, in the military or pursuing further education.
- 63% of those employed were working in their chosen fields.
Costs and Aid
- A public university providing academic excellence at an affordable price.
- Comprehensive financial aid and scholarship program. 91% of full-time freshman receive aid.
- Guaranteed housing for all freshman, with all internet access from all rooms.
- State-of-the-art Recreation facilities, including pool, weight training and cardio, climbing wall, etc.
- All campus buildings have internet access and over 90% of classrooms are wireless.
- Founded in 1870 to train teachers for the Commonwealth, the university has over a century of excellence in preparing students for success in work and life.
- Part of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher education (PASSHE) since 1982.Over 25,000 alumni live in every state and work in a wide variety of professions.