About Lock Haven University
Welcome to Lock Haven University
Whether you are a first-time visitor to our site, or a returning guest, we are pleased to provide you with information on Lock Haven University. Located in central Pennsylvania along the banks of the Susquehanna River, students come home to The Haven not only for excellent educational opportunities and career preparation, but for so much more. Within the pages of our website, we hope to give you better insight on how Lock Haven University can help make your dreams a reality.
Lock Haven University was founded in 1870 as the Central State Normal School. Over the years the concept of being an exclusively teacher’s college had changed, and so did our name. In 1926, we became State Teacher’s College at Lock Haven, in 1960 Lock Haven State College, and in 1983, we became Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania, after joining the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. In 1989, Lock Haven University opened its Clearfield campus in Clearfield, PA.
6% students from
|Average Class Size||28:1|
|Average GPA||3.30/4.0 with academic/college
|Average SAT||949 (critical reading and math scores only)|
|Average ACT||20 (composite score)|
|Average Class Rank||48% of students are
in upper 2/5 of class
From our humble beginnings with our first hundred students, to more than 4,000 students, Lock Haven University proudly offers 49 undergraduate programs and certificate programs with 47 minors. Master’s programs in education and health sciences are also available.
Browse our site, get to know us better and come for a visit! We encourage you to Follow Your Passion and Embrace Your Possibilities...Come Home to The Haven.
LHU Fast Facts
- Lock Haven University is located on the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in the scenic mountains of central Pennsylvania, a few minutes off I-80 (exit 178).
- The historic town of Lock Haven boasts a vital downtown with tree-lined streets and beautiful Victorian homes in a safe and quiet environment.
- Lock Haven is less than an hour from State College and Williamsport and four hours from New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and Pittsburgh.
- Our Clearfield campus (an hour to the west) serves traditional and non- traditional students.
- Undergraduate enrollment: 3,555 on the main campus, with 290 in Clearfield.
- Graduate enrollment: 375
- 41% male, 59% female.
- 6% of undergraduates from outside Pennsylvania, including 31 states and 17 other countries.
- Diversity: 9% African American , 2% Hispanic, 1% Asian, 1% International, 84% Caucasian.
- 49 majors and certifications with 47 minors.
- Most popular majors include: education, sport, and recreation management, health sciences, criminal justice, business, psychology, social work, communication media, and biology.
- Master's Programs in education, counseling, sports studies, and health sciences (Physician Assistant).
- Degrees awarded (2015-16): 923 bachelor's, 67 associate's, 154 master's degrees.
- Honors Program available for qualified students.
- Growing number of graduate programs and courses via distance education.
- All students complete an internship or other "real world" experience that connects learning to life.
LHU Offers . . .
- Technology: student laptop initiative, SMART boards, and wireless access in classrooms.
- Global perspective: 120 students studied abroad in 2013-14 (we offer programs in over 20 countries) and 120 international students enrich the climate on campus.
- Active learning: internships and field experience, service, and undergraduate research.
Faculty and staff
- 517 full-time employees, including. . .
- 231 full-time faculty – 83% hold earned doctorates and 14% represent the ethnic minorities.
- Courses are taught by faculty members, not graduate students or teaching assistants.
- Student faculty ratio 19:1.
- 18 NCAA Division I and II athletic programs; 2009 NCAA Division II Softball National Champions.
- Over 150 clubs and organizations.
- Club and intramural sports, movies, theatre, jazz and marching band, student government, cheerleading, dance, student newspaper, ROTC and more.
- Lock Haven's mascot is the Bald Eagle and our colors and crimson and white.
- Second Year persistence rate: 73.1%
- Graduation rate 36.8% with 4 years, 48.0% within 6 years
Within six months of graduation:
- 97% percent of 2013-14 graduates were employed, in the military or pursuing further education.
Costs and Aid
- A public university providing academic excellence at an affordable price.
- Comprehensive financial aid and scholarship program. 91% of full-time freshman receive aid.
- Guaranteed housing for freshmen and sophomores, with internet access from all rooms.
- State-of-the-art recreation facilities, including pool and climbing wall.
- All campus buildings have internet access and over 90% of classrooms are wireless.
- Founded in 1870 to train teachers for the Commonwealth, the University has prepared students for successin work and life for more than a century.
- Part of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher education (PASSHE) since 1982. Over 25,000 alumni live in every state and work in a wide variety of professions.