At its June 2010 meeting, the Middle States Commission on Higher Education continued Lock Haven University’s accreditation.
Lock Haven University conducted a comprehensive self-study as part of its application for reaffirmation of accreditation by the Middle States. This accreditation provides external validation of the quality of the educational experience at Lock Haven and is necessary for students to be eligible for most forms of financial aid.
The university began by preparing a comprehensive self-study report. This process involved eight working groups composed of approximately 80 faculty, staff, and students.
A visiting team of faculty and administrators from other Middle States schools visited the campus February 21-24, 2010 (visit schedule). The team carefully reviewed the self-study report, examined documents, and met with over 150 faculty, staff, and students. After leaving campus, the team finalized its report to the university and Middle States. Both the team's report and the university's response will be considered by the Middle States Commission when it takes final action on the university's request for reaffirmation of accreditation at its meeting in June 2010.
Preparations for the self-study and the visit began over two years earlier. Team chair Dr. Jonathan Gibralter, paid an initial visit to the campus in October 2009 to review our progress and make plans for the visit. On October 13, 2008, our Middle States staff liaison paid a visit to campus to assist with the self-study process, including a presentation at an open meeting.
The self-study was directed by a Steering Committee. Work began with development of a design for the self-study. The Steering Committee encouraged members of the university community to learn about the design and participate in the process. The members of the Middle States 2010 Steering Committee were:
- Dr. Robert Franz; Assistant Professor, Academic Development & Counseling
- Dr. Catherine A. Gatewood; Interim Associate Dean and Associate Professor, History, Political Science, and Economics
- Mr. Kenneth L. Hall †; Director of Human and Cultural Diversity
- Ms. Erin L. Pawlak † ; Director of Annual Giving, University Advancement
- Dr. James A. Meek *; Assistant to the President for Planning and Assessment
- Dr. Joseph R. Newhouse; Associate Professor, Biological Sciences
- Dr. Lynette M. Reitz *; Professor of Social Work
- Dr. SueAnn V. Schatz; Associate Professor of English
- Dr. Frederick W. Schulze *; Associate Professor, Health Science
* denotes co-chair, † denotes LHU alum
Lock Haven University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.