Information for Transfer Students

If you are transferring from another college you may have lots of questions. Our job is to help you find the answers. Many transfer students have found it to be helpful to visit campus, take a tour, and talk to an admission counselor. Click on the "visiting campus" link below to take this next step.  Please contact ourMeisha McDerimit, at 570-484-2123 or for further assistance.

Below you’ll find information and links to information that will be helpful to you as you work through the transfer process.

Requirements to Apply

In order to be eligible for transfer, students must have a cumulative 2.0 grade point average and 12 or more transferable credits. In situations where students have fewer than 12 transferable credits, a combination of high school and college performance will be evaluated. Students enrolled in their first semester of college, who are applying for the spring semester will be evaluated on their high school performance.

If you have attended any other academic institution since graduating from high school, you are required to apply as a transfer student. Applicants who misrepresent, alter, or withhold prior academic credentials may have their acceptances revoked. Failure to follow this procedure may result in dismissal from the university if discovered after a student has enrolled. 

Credit Transferability

Students transferring to LHU can expect that many of their general education courses will transfer. Introductory courses in art, music, theatre, speech, composition, American government/economics, world history, literature, philosophy, psychology, wellness and sociology/anthropology may transfer in as required general education courses.

A mathematics course may transfer if it is comparable to Lock Haven University’s MATH 101 or higher. Science courses that include a lab may transfer in as a lab science requirement. Courses that have been taken within a discipline area may need to be evaluated by the chairperson of that department.

The PASSHE Passport

If you are ready to transfer to LHU from a PA State System university (PASSHE) or a Pennsylvania Community College, the Academic Passport ensures that a maximum number of your credits will transfer, if you meet one of the two following requirements:

  1. You have earned an Associate of Arts or Science degree from one of the participating community colleges.
  2. You have earned at least 12 transferable credits from another PA State System school.

To be eligible for an Academic Passport, you must have a grade point average of at least 2.0. If you are a community college student with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree, you must have earned at least 30 credits in liberal arts courses. Remedial, developmental, or study skills courses do not transfer under the Academic Passport.

An unofficial credit evaluation can be done online or in person before applying to see how many of your credits may transfer to Lock Haven University. Individual appointments may be scheduled Monday-Friday between 8-4 p.m. by emailing or by calling 570-484-2027.


If you have successfully completed at least 30 transferable credits from a regionally accredited institution at the point of application and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, you may apply for The Dean’s Transfer Scholarship.

The scholarship is $500 per year and it is renewable for up to two years. Qualified candidates are automatically mailed an application. Please note that this scholarship is available only to students who are applying for the fall semester. The deadline for applications is June 1st.

Additional scholarships are available through the Lock Haven University Foundation, the Honors Program and Athletics.

Additional Links:

Apply to Transfer

More Information

Will my credits transfer?

Visit to create your student account and obtain comprehensive transfer information about transferring to or from participating Pennsylvania colleges and universities.
Powered by

Summer course registration

PA community colleges