Message from the Department Chair:
Welcome to our website for the Lock Haven University Nursing Department located at the Clearfield Campus. The Nursing Department is housed in the College of Natural, Behavioral, and Health Sciences. For over twenty-three years, the LHU Nursing Department has had an excellent reputation for preparing outstanding nurses. This program educates nursing students to meet the health care needs of individuals, families, and communities.
The Clearfield Campus offers a two year Associate of Science in Nursing, an Advanced Placement Program for LPNs seeking their Associate of Science in Nursing and an on-line RN to BSN completion program. All programs are accredited by ACEN (formerly NLNAC) and offer challenging and rewarding programs of study that reflect the standards of professional nursing.
A common goal of our faculty is to graduate outstanding students who are ready and able to provide excellent nursing care and services using theory and evidence based practice. The program prepares our students to make judgments and carry out nursing care based on critical thinking and research based knowledge for health promotion and maintenance, prevention of disease, and rehabilitation. Nursing is a dynamic career with many opportunities. Registered nursing is a prime occupation for job and professional growth. RNs are always in demand in Pennsylvania and in other states. If you are searching to prepare for a challenging, fulfilling career in Nursing, Lock Haven Clearfield may just be the right size and right fit for you.
Kimberly Owens, MS, RN
Lock Haven University Nursing Programs prepare the graduate to:
- Integrate knowledge and principles from nursing and general education courses to facilitate care of individual/family in various health care settings within the community.
- Integrate the nursing process to assist individuals/families throughout the life cycle in reaching their optimal level of health.
- Provide comprehensive, quality nursing care to individuals/families during alterations in their human needs.
- Incorporate therapeutic communication skills in providing continuity of care to individuals and families in selected health care setting.
- Refine health teaching appropriate to the human needs of individuals/families in order that they may achieve their maximum health potential.
- Evaluate nursing care according to the legal and ethical standards of the nursing profession.
- Demonstrate responsibility and accountability while providing nursing care.
The Associate of Science Degree at Lock Haven University's Clearfield Campus is based upon a strong, clinically oriented curriculum. In addition to coursework, students receive hands-on experience in specialty areas such as obstetrics, mental health, and medical/surgical units.
Completion of the two-year program prepares students to take the national licensure exam for registered nurses.
The LHU Associate of Science Degree in Nursing program is accredited by ACEN (Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc.) formerly NLNAC (National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, Inc.).
Please click here for our program brochure.
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN) program provides upper division opportunities facilitating mobility of graduates from Associate Degree and Diploma programs, allowing them the opportunity to enhance their education and career opportunities.
RN-to-BSN students must have proof of graduation from a NLNAC accredited nursing program and proof of current registered nurse licensure.
The RN to BSN Nursing Education Program is accredited by ACEN (Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc.) formerly NLNAC (National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, Inc.).
Please click here for our program guideline.
LPN to RN Information Session (Held from 1:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted.):
April 11, 2014
June 13, 2014
October 10, 2014
Click here to learn more about this program.
Kimberly Owens, Department Chair
130 Founders Hall
Phone: (814) 768-3430
Marie Fair, Academic Secretary
030 Founders Hall
Phone: (814) 768-3450