If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday. ~Pearl Buck
Lock Haven University was founded by Albert N. Raub as the Central State Normal School.
The first classes at the new school were held in May, 1877 and were taught in Price Hall, which was built on the current site of North Hall. It was a five story building overlooking the Susquehanna River.
Albert N. Raub, the first Principal of the Central State Normal School (now Lock Haven University), 1877-1884.
First graduating class includes 3 women and 18 men.
Price Hall burns, In its place, a new school, which housed offices, classrooms, and residence halls, was built at the current site of Stevenson Library.
New building (Sullivan Hall) laid.
Sullivan Hall, 1889
State of Pennsylvania purchases institution.
Charles Lose, Principal of the Central State Normal School, 1914-1920
Warren Nevin Drum, Principal of the Central State Normal School, 1920-1925.
Central State Normal School Gymnasium, built in 1896; renamed in 1953 in honor of James H. Rogers, Class of 1949, World War II veteran and student athlete, who died in 1952.
Rogers Gym, 1922
Dallas W. Armstrong, Principal of the Central State Normal School, 1925-1927; First President of Lock Haven State Teachers College, 1927-1937.
Due to changes in its mission led to changes in name, to State Teachers College at Lock Haven
Authority granted to confer baccalaureate degrees in elementary/secondary education & health/physical education.
Campus Bookstore, 1938
Richard T. Parsons, an alumnus of the school, was named the school's third college president. Under his leadership, which lasted until 1970, the student population grew from 146 to over 2300 and teaching faculty increased from 25 to 170. It was also under his leadership that the institution experienced its largest building program.
Lock Haven State Teachers College began a nursing program called the Cadet Nurses Training Program in cooperation with Lock Haven Hospital.
Institution accredited by Middle States Association of Colleges and Universities.
Name changed to Lock Haven State College.
School of Arts and Science started. Liberal arts B.A. degree offered in Humanities, Social Science, and Natural Sciences.
Bentley Hall, the main campus dining hall (food service building) completed in 1966 and named in honor of Deborah M. Bentley, college dietician, 1923-1957.
Craig Dean Willis inaugurated as President
Name changed to Lock Haven University as a result of the creation of the State System of Higher Education
Masters of Liberal Arts degree program implemented.
Clearfield Campus established
Associate degree program in Nursing offered.
First strategic plan completed.
Master of Education, Master of Health Science/Physician Assistant in Rural Primary Care approved.
The Student Recreation Center opened
Fredericks Family Memorial Carillon, dedicated in 2001 and donated by Dr. Carol Fredericks.
East Campus complex (formerly Lock Haven High School), purchased by LHU in 2002.
Dr. Keith T. Miller inaugurated as President
Michael Fiorentino, Jr., the Fourteenth President of the University