Overview of the University
- Social Equity
- Historical Perspectives
- History, Philosophy and Objectives
- Alumni Association
- The Campus and Physical Plant
- Accreditation and Memberships
Lock Haven University is firm in its resolve that equal employment and educational opportunity shall be accorded to all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, disability, life-style, sexual orientation, national origin, gender, ancestry, age or other factors prohibited by law.
The objective of the LHU Social Equity Plan is to facilitate equal opportunity by taking positive, aggressive steps to improve the employment and educational conditions for all who choose our University as their place of work or study. By enlisting the aid and cooperation of all segments of the campus community behind the equal opportunity effort, the objectives of the LHU Social Equity Plan shall be accomplished.
All inquiries concerning the program can be submitted to the Director of Social Equity of LHU, Mr. Albert Jones, (570) 484-2322.
This policy is in compliance with federal and state laws, including, but not limited to, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans With Disabilities Act, and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act.
Any individual having suggestions, problems, complaints, or grievances with regard to discrimination under Title IX is encouraged to contact one or both of the campus Title IX coordinators who will review, investigate and respond as appropriate. The Title IX coordinators are:
Director of Social Equity
LHU East Campus
Any individual having suggestions, problems, complaints, or grievances with regard to discrimination under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and/or the Americans With Disabilities Act is encouraged to contact one or both of the campus Section 504/ADA coordinators who will review, investigate and respond as appropriate. The Section 504/ADA coordinators are:
The first catalog of LHU--then called the Central State Normal School--was published in 1878. We have included excerpts from it to give you a sense of how the University began. In 1878 Rutherford Hayes was President of the United States, even though his opponent in the 1876 election, Samuel Tilden, received 250,000 more votes. More than 83 percent of eligible Pennsylvanians voted in that election. In 1880 there were approximately 50 million residents in the United States, and more than four million in Pennsylvania. More than 800 colleges had been established with 11,552 faculty and 116,000 students. More than 12,000 baccalaureate degrees were conferred nationwide. The Central State Normal School had a staff of seven and graduated 16 students in 1878. It consisted of one building located on the hill near what is now High Hall. The following is quoted from the 1878 Catalog.
The Central State Normal School is located in the western part of the city of Lock Haven. The site which is a hill overlooking the city, and commanding some of the finest scenery in the world, consists of over eighteen acres of land generously donated to the Normal School authorities by the late lamented Philip M. Price. . . . The School Building is located about one hundred feet above the level of the town, and for healthfulness and the superiority of its accommodations, it cannot be excelled. The scenery surrounding it, embracing views of the river, the railway, the city, and the neighboring mountains, is rarely equaled for beauty and grandeur. The buildings are supplied with pure mountain water, lighted with gas, and warmed throughout with steam.
All Students entering the Institution are supposed to be ladies and gentlemen, and all will be treated as such....It is the aim of the Institution to make cultivated ladies and gentlemen as well as thorough, practical scholars.
For tuition and boarding, including light, room, heat, and washing.
For the Winter Term of 26 weeks, $130.00
For any time less than half a term, per week, $5.25
For the Summer Term of 16 weeks, $80.00
(extracted from 21 total and not part of regulations in 2003!)
1. Students rooming in the Building are requested to
provide themselves with slippers.
3. Wrestling, Scuffling, Whistling, or any other rude or boisterous behavior is prohibited in the Building.
5. No Water, Dirt, or other material must be thrown from the porticoes or the windows.
11. Students are not permitted to visit one another's rooms during the regular hours for study.
12. At the ringing of the bell for study all Students will immediately repair to their respective rooms.
13. At the ringing of the bell for retiring, all lights must be extinguished.
18. The Sexes must not associate with each other, except at such times and on such occasions as may be designated by the Principal.
19. Neither Sex will be permitted to trespass on that portion of the Building assigned to the other, nor Students be allowed to assemble in the hall or the recitation-rooms during recreation hours, except when permission is given.
21. It is taken for granted that every Student entering the School is disposed to do right and comply with the Regulations of the Institution. When it is found a Student cannot be trusted he will be dismissed...
of LHU is
located in the ridge and valley province on the edge of the Allegheny
Plateau. The West Branch of the Susquehanna River runs alongside the campus
while the valley is surrounded by the Bald Eagle Mountains.
The area is rich in outdoor recreational opportunities -- swimming, boating, fishing, hunting, hiking, canoeing, camping, and skiing. Even so, the cultural centers of New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C. are only a few hours drive from the main campus.
The town of Lock Haven is a small, charming community. The historic district contains tree-shaded streets and immaculate Victorian homes. The University supports the city in many ways. For example, students volunteer to work in local social service agencies and businesses, and the University sponsors cultural and athletic events.
The University also operates a
branch campus in
, 60 miles west of Lock Haven that offers
associate of arts degrees in criminal justice and healthcare professions,
associate of applied science degrees in management and management information
systems and associate of science degrees in nursing and surgical technology.
This campus is
also located near the west branch of the Susquehanna River.
History, Philosophy and Objectives
LHU was founded in 1870 as the Central State Normal School, offering a two-year program designed to train teachers for the public schools. In 1927, the school became a four-year degree-granting college of teacher education. With the inauguration of the Arts and Science degree program in 1960, the multi-purpose institution became Lock Haven State College offering Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in liberal arts fields, along with the Bachelor of Science in Elementary and Secondary Education, and a Bachelor of Science in Health and Physical Education. In 1983, the institution was renamed Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania.
Today, the University offers the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in liberal arts fields; the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Music; the Bachelor of Science in Education; the Bachelor of Science in Health and Physical Education; the Bachelor of Science in Recreation Management and the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences. At the graduate level, the University offers the Master of Liberal Arts, the Master of Education in Teaching and Learning, Master of Education in Alternative Education, and the Master of Health Science, Physician Assistant.
The individual student is the
focal point for the educational program at LHU. Although
specific requirements are established for each major field, each of the University's 4,500 students (4,200 at the main campus and 350 at the Clearfield branch campus) still has the responsibility for choosing electives and for pursuing individual interests. Through formal and informal instruction, students are guided in developing their own potential and in achieving a better self-understanding.
LHU encourages academic excellence in both the General Education program and in an area of specialization. The University's educational program is designed to stimulate a student's intellect, develop a sense of individual and community responsibility, and increase knowledge and understanding of different cultures. Through formal instruction and extracurricular activities, students develop intellectual, emotional, and physical capabilities to achieve personal and professional goals and to participate in, as well as to improve and preserve, a democratic society.
By the time a student graduates, he or she should:
Have acquired through general studies the knowledge,
skills and values needed to live effectively in one's own culture;
Have mastered the skills of effective written, oral
Be informed and intellectually curious about oneself
human being, about the natural world, and about one's own
Appreciate other cultures through knowledge of art,
religion, politics, literature, and history;
Employ knowledge of the past to understand current
The Lock Haven University Alumni Association was founded in 1887 and has served through the years as the continuing tie between the alumni and their alma mater. Its members include most of the more than 15,000 living graduates and former students with known addresses.
The Alumni Association provides the alumni of LHU with opportunities to share their memories and remain active participants in the university community through communications and specific programs. This is accomplished through regional receptions from coast to coast; planned events for Homecoming and Alumni Weekend; Perspective, the university magazine, which is published four times a year; and the alumni Web site which is dedicated to informing alumni of upcoming events, benefits and opportunities available to them as well as current news about the University.
The Alumni Office, located in the Durrwachter Alumni Conference Center, is the center of alumni activities on campus. The office maintains the alumni records, assists in conducting the affairs of the Association and serves as the communication center for all alumni inquiries. Alumni are always welcome and should feel free to visit the campus on any occasion.
The 200-acre campus of LHU, including 12.9 acres at Clearfield Campus and 44 acres at Sieg Conference Center, is a unique blend of natural settings, historic buildings and modern facilities. The following section describes each building on the main campus.
Academic & Auxiliary
(Identification of the person whose name the building carries is noted parenthetically)
Annex: Courthouse Annex was acquired in 1998 and is used for classes (FLS), faculty offices and storage.
Akeley Hall: (Archibald Paul Akeley, Potter County Schools superintendent and trustee) - Completed in 1930 and formerly known as the Campus School, this building contains classrooms, the Department of Computer Science, Management and Accounting offices, computer laboratories, offices of Career Services, and the Institute of International Studies.
Bentley Hall: (Deborah M. Bentley, college dietician, 1923-1957) - A food service building, opened in 1966, this building was added on to and renovated in 2007. Also in this building is the Bentley food court and convenience store.
Glennon Infirmary: (Katherine A. Glennon,
R.N., college nurse, 1941-1967) - Completed
in 1967, the infirmary has a physician or physician's assistant on campus five days each week and registered nurses on duty from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Public Safety is housed in half of this building and provides campus security, parking control, and other safety services.
Himes Building (Jesse Scott Himes, elementary
education teacher, 1920-1936) -
Himes was completed in 1961. Today, it houses the Department of Recreation Management.
Hursh-Nevel Maintenance Building: (George B. Hursh, 1898-1941; E. Ross Nevel, Sr., 1941-1956; superintendents of buildings and grounds) - Completed in 1968, the building houses maintenance equipment, duplicating, mailroom, and a receiving/storage area.
Jack Stadium: (Hubert H. Jack, professor of
health and physical education, coach of football and wrestling, 1943-1968) -
Completed in 1975, the football field, locker rooms,
and an all-weather track provide facilities for instructional, intramural, and intercollegiate programs. A capital improvement project added an artificial turf surface to the field. The stadium complex also features an eight lane track and complete lighting system.
LHU East Campus: Lock Haven University
purchased the old
Lock Haven Jr./Sr. High School, administration building, greenhouse, Vo-tech building,
and surrounding property from the Keystone Central School District in 2003.
Parsons Union Building: (Richard T. Parsons, Ed.D., alumnus '31, president, 1942-1970) - Completed in 1968, expanded and rededicated in 1993, the Student Union contains the Eagle Wing snack bar, bookstore, offices for the Student Cooperative Council, Inc., Eagle Eye student newspaper as well as several other student organizations. Recreation facilities include a game room, TV viewing, conference rooms and a commuter lounge.
Price Performance Center: (Philip M. Price, donor of land on which the University was originally built) - The center, constructed in 1938, has a seating capacity of 672 and was renovated and reopened in 1989. The building features an electronic music lab and a center for student testing and evaluation.
Raub Hall: (Albert N. Raub, Ph.D., first
principal of Central State Normal School, 1877-1884) - Completed in 1964, this
classroom building also houses MountainServe (Student Community Service), the
Department of History, Political Science, and Management, and the departments of
English and Foreign Languages. This building features a computer assisted
teaching classroom, a distance education classroom and a developmental
Recreation/Honors Building: was a private home that was purchased by the University and houses the Honors Program.
Robinson Hall: (Gerald R. Robinson, Ed.D., professor, dean of instruction, vice president for academic affairs, 1954-1976) - This seven-story multi-purpose building was completed in 1981. It houses the College of Education and Human Services departments of Early Childhood, Elementary, Secondary and Special Education and the Arts and Sciences departments of Psychology, Mathematics, and Communications Media, and Philosophy. The building also contains the Hamblin International Auditorium, a television studio, a radio station, and a developmental mathematics facility devoted to remediation and placement testing. The Information Technology Center (Computing Center) in Robinson Hall is the nerve center of the LHUPnet, a high speed fiber optic network which connects all of the campus’s buildings together for email, bulletin programs, electronic library, and Internet access. The LHUPnet is connected to the State System of Higher Education Network, which electronically links the 22 campuses of the 14 State System Universities, including the LHU Clearfield Campus. Studios used to deliver distance courses and communication via compressed video technology are housed here.
Rogers Gymnasium: (James H. Rogers, alumnus '49, an athlete, World War II veteran, and popular high school teacher who died shortly after receiving his degree) - This is the oldest building on campus dating from 1896 and is used for classes in physical education, intramurals, sport practice and weight training. It was entirely renovated in 2005.
ROTC Building: was a family residence near the campus which now houses the Army ROTC program.
Sieg Conference Center:
(donated to the University in 1965 by the Cerro Corporation
of Bellefonte, PA, and named to honor the William Sieg family who were instrumental in donating this facility to the University) - The property consists of 44 acres of woodland and
is located in the "Narrows" of Fishing Creek, approximately three miles east of Lamar on Route 780 (25 minutes from the University). There is a large main lodge equipped to feed
up to 350 people and bunkhouses which will accommodate 40 people. The center offers
ideal facilities for a variety of uses such as seminars, conferences, training courses, staff meetings, outdoor class meetings, camping, outings, picnics and recreation. (The fishing in Fishing Creek, incidentally, is excellent.) The center may be scheduled for use by day, overnight or weekends.
Sloan Fine Arts Building: (John Sloan, internationally renowned artist, born in Lock Haven) - Completed in 1973, the building contains classrooms, practice rooms, art studios, faculty offices, a small theatre, and a large theatre for student and professional performances and lectures. Housed here are the Art and Performing Arts Departments.
Stevenson Library (George B.
Stevenson, alumnus '06, state senator, trustee) - Completed in 1969 the
four-story structure contains open book stacks, with individual study carrels
and alcove study areas, an automated catalog and circulation system, a computer
laboratory, on-line data bases, periodicals, and microfilm and microfiche
collections. Also housed in
the library are the offices of the Dean of Arts and Sciences, the Dean of Education and Human Services, the Assistant to the Deans, The Dean of Library and Information Services, and their staff.
Student Recreation Center (SRC)
opened its doors in April 2002. The 42,000 sq. foot facility has been a
significant addition to student life at LHU. The SRC houses three multipurpose
courts which can be used for basketball, volleyball, tennis or
Also included in the building is a dance/exercise room for aerobics, yoga and other isolated programs. A fitness room is available for use with free weights, nautilus-style machines, and dumbbells. A 1/9th mile track is also located in the facility. An indoor climbing wall, standing at a height of 30’, as well as outdoor facilities lighted for basketball, sand volleyball and tennis are available for use by LHU students.
Sullivan Hall (Cornelius M. Sullivan, dean of instruction, 1908-1950) - Originally constructed as a library in 1938, it is now the University's administration building. The three-story structure contains the offices of the President, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Vice President for Finance, Administration and Technology, Vice President for Student Affairs, Student Affairs Office, Cultural Diversity Office, and the Teaching and Learning Center (TLC).
Thomas Annex: was completely renovated in 1984. It houses the Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work.
Thomas Fieldhouse: (David W.
Thomas, M.D., alumnus '06, trustee) - This facility, built
in 1935, was renovated in 1984. It is used for teaching physical education classes, sport practices and competition, and intramural activities. It contains a large wrestling room,
main arena, press box, training rooms, offices for faculty and coaches, classrooms, and locker/shower accommodations. The Director of Athletics, Assistant, and Associate Directors and the athletic coaches offices are located there.
Ulmer Hall: (Levi J. Ulmer, science and geography teacher, 1918-1941) - The main building, renovated in 1996, was constructed in 1952 and contains laboratories for the natural and earth sciences and classrooms. A building addition housing a greenhouse, planetarium, additional classrooms, laboratories and research facilities was completed in 1969.
Zimmerli Gymnasium: (Elizabeth K. Zimmerli, Ed.D., director of health and physical education, 1946-1966) - Completed in 1970, the gymnasium contains three teaching stations, a swimming pool, dressing/locker/shower facilities, offices for the Department of Health and Physical Education, racquetball court, and classrooms.
All residence halls provide kitchen, recreation lounge, laundry and study facilities. Computer laboratories located in all residence halls link students to the campus network.
Campus Village: An apartment complex which houses 172 students, purchased by the LHU Foundation and leased by the university to supplement housing needs.
Evergreen Commons: The complex houses 408 students. Like Campus Village, Evergreen Commons is owned by the LHU Foundation and leased by the university to supplement housing needs.
Gross Hall: (Lydia Gross, alumna and teacher, 1946-1972; Rebecca Gross, trustee and member, State System of Higher Education Board of Governors) - completed in 1973, houses 200 students.
High Hall: (Morris DeTurk High, dean of instruction, 1904-1937) - Completed in 1970, this hall houses 200 students and overlooks a wooded section of the campus.
McEntire Hall: (Helen L. McEntire, trustee, 1939-1957) - Completed in 1969, this seven-story building houses 400 students. Located on the highest point on campus, it affords a scenic view of Bald Eagle Valley.
North Hall: (William R. North, Ph.D., chairman of the English Department, 1935-1963) - Completed in 1967, North Hall provides a scenic view of the campus area and the river beyond. It houses 200 students.
Russell Hall: (Lillian E. Russell, education supervisor, 1925-1944) - Completed in 1953, the building is situated in the center of the campus. The Department of Academic Development and Counseling, and the offices of the Registrar and Student Financial Services are housed on the first floor to make a “one-stop shopping” environment for the student. Marketing and Communications and faculty offices are in the building's basement.
Smith Hall: (Samuel Jacob Smith, teacher of math, 1927-1958) - Completed in 1960, this hall houses up to 250 students, includes single units and is located on the lower part of the campus.
Woolridge Hall: (Harold D. Woolridge, alumnus '11, trustee, 1932-1960) - Completed in 1964 and housing 200 students, this hall is located on the lower part of the university campus.Accreditation and Memberships Website