Clearfield Campus Inclement Weather Policy (Compressed Schedule)
The LHUP Clearfield Campus Website homepage will be the first place to provide weather-related information. It will relay specific details related to delays or closings. Weather delays and closings will be announced only in the area media listed below. Consider posting this notice where students and staff will also be aware of which media to listen to for this information.
- If the status of work and events at the Clearfield Campus is questionable, listen first to the media. (Radio Stations: WBPZ/WSNU, Lock Haven; WMAJ, State College; WRSC/WQWK, State College; WCPA/WQYZ, Clearfield; WOKW, Clearfield; WPHB, Philipsburg. Television Stations: WTAJ, Altoona.) If you do not hear any information through the media listed above you may call (814) 768-3405 for closing and cancellation information.
- When academic activities are suspended, all faculty and students are dismissed for the day. *Nursing students see #3 below.
- Nursing students will follow the below accepted policy:
On days when class is being held for theory presentation, nursing faculty and students will follow the above stated policy.
A telephone chain will be established at the beginning of each nursing course containing a clinical component. The respective faculty will be responsible for initiating the telephone chain to inform students that clinical experiences or structured observations have been cancelled.
- Use the University’s general information number, (570) 484-2011, choose option 6. The LHU weather message phone line is (570) 484-2385.
Announcements concerning the LHU Clearfield Campus come from that Campus and are generally announced only in the Clearfield media. However, the general information line and University Web site will also carry announcements concerning Clearfield.
The following media sources will carry information regarding Lock Haven University:
WBPZ AM, 1230/ WSNU FM, 92.1, Lock Haven
WBZD FM, 93.3/ WZXR FM, 99.3/WILQ FM, 105.1, Williamsport
WMAJ AM, 1450/WBHV FM, 103.1/WFGI FM, 94.5, State College
WKSB FM, 102.7/ WRAK AM, 1400/ WMYL FM, 95.5, Williamsport
WRSC AM, 1390/ WQWK FM, 97.1/WNCL FM, 107.9, State College
WZYY FM, 106.9, Renovo
WBRE NBC TV Ch. 28
WTAJ CBS TV Ch. 10
WNEP ABC TV Ch. 16
WYOU CBS TV Ch. 22
- When academic activities ONLY are suspended, all non-instructional staff must report to work unless they have prior approval for absences. If you cannot report to work, call your supervisor. Faculty are not expected to report for work and students are not to report for classes unless the students are assigned to off-campus locations for internships, student teaching, etc. In these situations, the students will operate on
- the calendar of the entity to which they are assigned. It will be the responsibility of professors and students to ensure that coursework missed during closed school periods will be adequately covered during the time remaining in the semester.
- When the University is closed for all instructional and non-instructional staff, employees who are considered non-essential will be permitted to be absent from work. Employees who are considered essential and are required to work may not be absent from work.
- Essential employees who cannot report to work are to contact their supervisors.
Essential employees are considered to be those in the following areas:
- Housing * (Main Campus)
- Glennon Health Center
- Law Enforcement and Safety
- Maintenance, Groundskeepers and Custodians excluding electronic systems technicians, electronic technicians, and engineering technicians.
*Food services will be provided by our contractor. (Main Campus)
- When closings of the University or parts thereof are authorized by management, employees will be permitted to be absent for work. Leave with pay will not be charged.
- Employees on Annual, Personal, Sick, or Compensatory Leave when the closing of offices is authorized will be charged for the closed period against their leave.
- Employees who feel that weather conditions are hazardous may be absent from work with supervisory approval, but Annual or Personal leave will be charged if the University is open.
In the event of a delayed opening for academic instruction, the following compressed class schedule will be used. All non-instructional staff, other than essential employees, will also begin at 10 a.m. when the compressed schedule is used.
In the event civil authorities request assistance, LHU personnel will assist the County Office of Emergency Management in providing shelter and assistance as needed. Essential personnel must report to work when needed.
Essential employees include:
Glennon Health Center
Law Enforcement and Safety
Maintenance, groundskeepers and custodians
Others mentioned in the Clearfield Campus Emergency Response Guide
* Food services will be provided by our contractor.