Lock Haven University allows students to earn up to 15 internship credits and have them count toward their degree at LHU. The credits may be earned in one agency or several and in one semester or more than one. A student must complete 40 clock hours of internship for each credit they wish to receive. For example, a three credit internship requires 120 clock hours of time in the field. Students typically engage in internship credit during summer session or in the final semester of their senior year.
Please visit our "Career Opportunities" page for a look at who may be hiring! Expectations of the student are negotiated with the faculty sponsor but usually include, at a minimum: a daily log, a reaction paper, an abstract and a positive evaluation from the site supervisor. Students are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and to dress in a manner consistent with professionals at their agency.
In order to be eligible for internship credit, students must have completed 60 credits and have a 2.5 overall GPA. Students must consult with their academic advisor prior to selecting potential internship sites. Internship applications are available in the form racks outside ECAM J313.
Examples of recent Internship Placements for Lock Haven Criminal Justice students include:
- Bellefonte Juvenile Detention Center
- State College Police Department
- Clinton County Juvenile Probation
- Clinton County Adult Probation
- Lycoming County District Attorney's Office
- Cornell Abraxas (South Mountain Facility)
- Bellefonte Sheriff's Department
- The Meadows Psychiatric Facility
- Williamsport Police Department
- Wal-Mart Loss Prevention Division
- Mifflin County Probation Office
- North Carolina Department of Corrections
- Shamokin Police Department
- Northumberland County Sheriff's Department
- Ocean City Maryland Police Department
- Clearfield Sheriff's Department
- Office of the Inspector General
- Attorney General's Office – Bureau of Narcotics Investigation
- Clinton County Prison
- Private Law Firms (various)