Mission & Goals
The mission of the Recreation Management Department is to provide a student-centered academic program that prepares leaders for a career in the recreation profession. In this educational environment, students immerse themselves in a curriculum that integrates theoretical foundations with pragmatic applications. The Department shares with the College of Education and Human Services and the University a commitment to the development of civically responsible, ethical, and passionate life long learners.
- Structure a student-centered educational environment.
- Provide students with the conceptual knowledge and practical skill to successfully enter the profession.
- Stimulate the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Emphasize the importance of and nurture an appreciation for community service.
- Encourage the evolution of personal leisure and recreation philosophies.
- Introduce students to the impact of diversity upon the development and delivery of leisure services.
- Encourage students to be lifelong learners.
- Encourage an awareness of ethical principles in relationship to professional practices.