This hands-on, interdisciplinary minor focuses on preparing future leaders by providing information on current theories and findings in leadership studies, assisting them in gaining leadership skills, and giving them opportunities to practice their knowledge and skills.
Students will complete 6 courses, totaling 18 credits. Two of those courses will cover basic leadership skills, whereas the remaining four (12 credits) will focus on leadership skills within different areas. Students will also show evidence of at least six leadership skills through an electronic portfolio and the application of leadership skills in projects involving service learning, campus leadership positions, or internship work.
Required Courses: 6 credit hours (2 courses) of basic leadership courses from those below
- PSYC235 Interpersonal and Leadership Skills
- PSYC313 Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- PSYC328 Issues in Contemporary Leadership
- An approved leadership course on campus or transferred
Elective Skills Courses: Students complete 12 more credits. Courses should be chosen with help from their minor adviser from the courses listed below or other approved courses that assist the student in gaining leadership skills.
- POLI260 Introduction to Public Administration
- MILS404 Developing Adaptive Leaders
- COMM102 Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- COMM103 Small Group Communication
- COMM104 Interpersonal Communication
- COMM303 Argumentation and Debate
- COMM305 Public Relations
- COMM320 Business and Professional Speaking
- COMM375 Persuasion
- JOUR491 Propaganda and Public Opinion
- ENGL201 Advanced Composition (but not 258)
- ENGL258 Business Writing (but not 201)
- RECR203 Teambuilding and Challenge Courses
- PSYC470 Counseling Skills
- PHIL102 Ethics (but not 425)
- PHIL425 Ethics in Business and Industry (but not 102)
Electronic Portfolio Contents
- Resume and personal mission statement.
- Essay on the student’s philosophy of leadership (incorporating theory).
- At least six essays, case studies, or other evidences of leadership skill attainment.
- Service learning, capstone project, and/or internship reports.