Being Homosexual in a Pre-Dominant Heterosexual University
- Being Homosexual means to walk across campus and people look at me as if I am different.
- Being Homosexual means to have teachers who may or may not accept you as a person.
- Being Homosexual means explaining to people that not all Homosexual people are the same.
- Being Homosexual means members of the same sex look at me as if I am attracted to them.
- Being Homosexual means people always assume that I am attracted to little children.
- Being Homosexual people assume that I do not have a religious practice/belief.
- Being Homosexual means to hide who I am and deny my sexual orientation.
- Being Homosexual is to be a resource person for heterosexuals who, after being answered, are not willing to accept my orientation.
- Being Homosexual means worrying about the fact that my roommate will in all probability be heterosexual.
- Being Homosexual means knowing that I will be the only Homosexual person at a floor/hall mixer.
I hope that these perceptions will give a better view in understanding, accepting, and respecting a Homosexual student in becoming more involved in his world. My view is only a fragment of the big picture, however, I hope that this small fragment can help you to help some Homosexual student before he/she is forced to take other action, possibly action of revolt and disruption.