International Service Learning
& Faculty Led Programs
Travel Guidelines – International Service Learning & Faculty Led Programs
Purpose: To establish travel guidelines associated with reimbursement of travel, subsistence and related expenses in the event monies are collected from students for international service learning & faculty led programs. These guidelines are in accordance with PASSHE Board of Governors Policy 1986-07-A-Travel Expense Regulations.
Guidelines: Guidelines will be followed for processing various international service learning & faculty led programs. Exceptions will be evaluated on a case by case basis. The responsible VP/Dean must approve all international service learning & faculty led programs and any miscellaneous food purchases not subsistence related.
International Service Learning & Faculty Led Programs – Any international travel taken by a student(s), sponsored by a faculty/staff member, and approved by the appropriate VP/Dean. For liability purposes, individuals not employed by the University or enrolled as a student are not permitted to participate in these programs (i.e. spouses, friends, etc.) at the expense of the University or with student collected funds.
Procedure for Faculty/Staff Advisor planning program:
Complete the “ International Service Learning & Faculty Led Program Form” (Appendix A) and attach “Program Itinerary” (Appendix B):
- Forms must be completed by sponsoring faculty/staff with appropriate approvals no less than 3 months prior to the program date and attach a program Itinerary (example Appendix B):
- Student signatures/applications are to be obtained upon registration and payment of non-refundable deposit for the following items;
- Airfare – pre-purchased tickets to be arranged through the Travel Office.
- Conference Fees – prepaid conference fees to be arranged through the Travel Office.
- Hotels – prepaid hotel expenses to be arranged through the Travel Office. When making hotel reservations, the cardholder must advise the hotel that Lock Haven University is responsible for the room only; expenses such as telephone and food are not included.
- Any request for reimbursement of related expenses must be submitted on a travel expense voucher and accompanied by a completed/approved international service learning & faculty led program form;
- If no reimbursement of expenses is expected, the sponsoring faculty/staff is responsible for maintaining the completed international service learning & faculty led program form.
Budget and Finance Requirements
For new programs only, the Institute for International Studies completes the Request for Fund Center Form (Appendix C).
Faculty member provides the cost per student to the Budget office before arrangements are processed.
- Faculty advisor meets with Travel Officer to book pre-travel expenses via University International Student Travel card to include but not limited to the following expenses:
- Hotel Reservations
- Conference Fees
- Event Tickets
- All other expenses deemed appropriate by the Travel office
- Upon receipt of a Contract Service Request Form (CSRF), the Purchasing office will process a Service Purchase Contract (SPC) with 3rd party organizations (i.e. EcoColors Tours and EF Tours) contracted to provide student travel/tour services.
- Lock Haven University travel guidelines apply:
- Airfare receipts per person
- Itemized hotel receipts per room
- All other documentation for charges placed on the University International Student Travel card.
- Cancelled or changed itinerary: Faculty and/or students are responsible for incurred expenses
Institute for International Studies receives the following from students upon enrollment in the program:
- Completed Study Abroad Statement of Responsibility with students signature (Appendix D)
- Completed Study Abroad Application
- Non-refundable deposit (amount and date to be determined by faculty advisor)
- ISIC Card
- Copy of Passport picture page
International Studies Office collects money and tracks student account payments and takes the money and a reconciliation statement with appropriate fund center information to Student Financial Services (SFS) for cash receipting. By no means are faculty permitted to collect monies from students or use their personal credit card to book air fare, make hotel reservations, etc.
The IIS will forward a copy of the completed student list and amount collected to the Budget office after the registration deadline
Sponsoring faculty/staff are responsible for paying for all expenses and submitting the appropriate travel documentation for reimbursement.
University issued travel cards or personal credit cards should be used to make the below purchases:
- Subsistence (meals and incidentals) – Faculty and/or staff will be reimbursed based on foreign travel per diem allowances as per the Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) established by the General Services Administration (GSA) (receipts are not required).
- Event Tickets not processed on the International Student Travel card
In the event you have extra tickets:
- Attempt to return any extra tickets to the venue.
- Extra tickets that cannot be returned must be returned to Linda Kibbe along with the travel expense voucher.
- For full detail on Foreign Per Diem Rates, please visit the GSA website: