Classroom: Ulmer 216
Instructors: Dr. John Reid
Dr. Anamika Gopal
Section 1: Monday, 2:30am to 5:20pm
Section 2: Monday, 6:00pm to 8:50pm
Section 3: Tuesday, 8:00am to 10:50am
Section 4: Tuesday, 2:10pm to 5:00pm
Section 5: Wednesday, 2:30pm to 5:20pm
Requirements for Lab:
1. Lab Manual
4. USB Flash Drive (for data transfer to laptop)
This course is a lab companion to PHYS 131 which will serve to reinforce selected concepts through practical, hands-on demonstrations
Upon completion of this course the students will have gained the following:
· An intuitive sense for physics through experimental study of selected topics in the subject
· Skills to analyze interpret and present data, while recognizing its connection with theory studied in class.
· Confidence in using analysis software like Excel and DataStudio (Pasco) to analyse and present data.
· Further development of scientific writing skills.
Instructions On How To Approach These Labs:
Grading Structure / Rubric:
All Labs will be graded out of 100 points:
There will be no make-up labs, * if you miss attending a lab you may not take data from your lab mates to complete the report.
*Extenuating circumstances may be considered on a case by case basis if informed in a timely manner.
Required Conduct in Class:
· Cell phones, PDAs, headphones etc. must not be used during the class.
· Laptops may be used only for class related purposes
· Food or drink is strictly prohibited in class
· Please conduct yourselves professionally in class; communicating in a respectful language with your peers, guests or the instructor
· Participation in class discussions and activities is an important part of the learning process and is encouraged
All students are expected to comply with the academic honesty policy as outlined in the LHUP student handbook. Violations will be subject to disciplinary action as specified in the student handbook and may result in failing the assignment, test or course depending on the severity of the violation. A copy of the handbook may be obtained by contacting the Department of Student Life or online at: http://www.lhup.edu/student-handbook/