|Making a Poster in Microsoft Publisher 2007
Click here to watch a how-to video on making a poster in Microsoft Publisher 2007.
1. Open Microsoft Publisher
2. Double Click on Blank Page
3. The Format Publication Side Bar will open—select Change the Page Size
4. The right side bar will open. Under Page: type in Width: 36 and Height: 24 (or if you want your poster to be oriented portrait, type in Width: 24 and Height: 36
5. Close the Format Publication side bar.
Adding a Title
1. Click the Text Box tool on the side menu bar (the “A in a box” on the side bar. Click inside poster and drag to form text block
2. Click inside text box, change font size to 100 and hit enter. Type title.
3. While inside text box, highlight the text by holding down the control key and striking “A”. This will center the title in the text box.
4. Change the size of the text box by dragging the handles on the border of the title.
5. Center the text box by placing curser on the border and dragging the box to the center of your poster visually.
Insert Text From Word
1. Click text box tool on the side menu bar.
2. Click and drag to form text box
3. Click Insert (found on the top menu bar), then Text File, Select Drive, Click on the Document you want, Insert. You can also copy and paste the text you would like to insert in the text box. The font size should be between 18 and 21.
4. Click Line/Border Style (found on the Took Bar, 4th icon from the right). Choose one of the border outlines, click OK. This will place a border around the text box.
5. Resize the text box to fit the text by dragging the handles on the border.
6. Move the text box to about where you want it by clicking on the box.
7. To remove the automatic hyphenation option , click on text box. Select Tools, Language, and then Hyphenations. UNCHECK the automatic hyphenation of the text box.
Insert a Picture
1. Select the Picture Frame tool (it looks like a picture of mountains located on the side menu bar)
2. Choose either Picture from File or Empty Picture Frame. Drag the picture box onto your poster.
3. If you choose an empty picture frame, place it where you want it on the poster and then copy and paste the picture you want into the frame.
4. Resize the picture using the handles on the picture frame to move it to where you want it located on the poster.
Insert Figures: ie. a graph from Excel
1. Use the Picture icon and create an Empty Picture Frame.
2. Open Excel and then open the graph you would like to insert into your document. Copy the graph and then paste it into the empty picture frame located on your poster.
Insert a Table from Excel
1. Open Microsoft Excel
2. Open Document
3. Highlight the cells you want to copy
4. Copy and then paste into your poster. Select the boxes and resize the font to the appropriate size.
5. Add borders to all of the cells by doing the
6. Activate the table and select the Line/Border option.
7. Choose More Lines and a box will open.
8. Choose Color and Lines and then select the option that places lines around the cells. Click okay.
9. Resize the table to the appropriate size.
Adding a Border Around Your Poster
1. Select the Empty Picture Frame icon located on the side menu bar.
2. Draw a frame so that it fits exactly over the blue border line on your poster.
3. Click on Line/Border style options located on the top menu bar and choose a line style.
4. Select the Box icon on the top menu bar and then select Send to Back to put a neat line on the background.