|Lock Haven State Teachers College and World War II
Stevenson Library has been proud to display “Lock Haven State Teacher’s College in World War II”, an exhibit depicting the impact of World War II on Lock Haven and Lock Haven University. The exhibit highlights the contributions made by Lock Haven State Teacher’s College to the war effort as well as the surrounding community. This exhibit was displayed in conjunction with the re-dedication of the Helen Burgess Terrill Archive Treasury Room. Mrs. Burgess Terrill’s husband, Colonel Robert S. Terrill USAF, retired, was a student at Lock Haven State Teacher’s College before he went on to serve in World War II.
The exhibit includes artifacts borrowed from the Heisey Museum, The Clinton County Veteran’s Affairs Office, The Piper Aviation Museum, Downtown Lock Haven Incorporated, Woolrich, and Girton Dietz, who manages the World War II Memorial in Lock Haven. These artifacts include uniforms, weapons, newspaper articles, and helmets and tools used by soldiers during the war. The exhibit spotlights contributions made by several area companies to the war effort, such as Piper Aircraft Corporation, who made planes used for training and medical purposes, and Woolrich Woolen Mills, who made socks and blankets used by soldiers. Lock Haven State Teacher’s College contributed significantly to the war effort, many young men were called into service for their country, most notably the “Fighting Forty” in 1943. Other students were left behind to work in the local Sylvania factory, making vacuum tubes in addition to their normal course load. Lock Haven State Teacher’s College also added a Cadet Nurse’s Training Program, as well as housed a Naval Aviation Cadet Training program in cooperation with Piper Aircraft Coorperation.
Lock Haven State Teachers College students who fought in WWII
LHSTC Naval Cadet Program
The Fighting Forty
LHSTC Nursing Program