New to LHU students will receive an email by Wednesday, August 5th at their LHU email account of their assigned move-in date. The move-in date will be either Friday, August 21 or Saturday, August 22 from 8 AM to 4 PM.
Returning students move-in will be Sunday, August 23 from 8 AM to 4 PM
As we get ready to welcome you to campus we have some important information to share with you!
- When exiting Route 220 please use the Lock Haven exit, not the Mill Hall exit. This will place you in a better position to get to the areas where you will be lined up to go to your building. Once off of the Lock Haven exit follow the signs for Water street, this will bring you right into campus.
- If you are moving into Smith, Woolridge or Fairview Suites please report to the parking lot behind the Rec Center to move in. Please do not go into the Rec Center, their is no housing personel located within the Rec Center.
- If you are moving into High, McEntire or North please report to the parking lot by Glennon Health Services to move in.
- If you are moving into Campus Village please report to Campus Village.
- Please follow the map if you have any questions.
Moving in Tips
- It is a good idea to label containers with the student’s name, building and room number to which they belong.
- You don’t have to bring everything up on move in day. Bring the essentials, there will always be time later to bring up your winter clothes and items you forgot!
- Talk to your roommate before arriving, and divide up who brings the big items!
- Drivers must stay with the car! When it is unloaded please move it immediately!
- If you have the room in the one car you are allowed to unload at a time, go shopping at home. Wal-Mart is very crowded on Move In day!
- Arrive during your scheduled time!
What should we expect in terms of traffic and parking on move-in day?
Expect traffic on move-in day. After all, there are over 600 freshmen moving in between 9am and 4 pm on both Friday and Saturday. The LHU Public Safety Department will direct traffic, allowing vehicles access to the residence halls for a short time to quickly and efficiently unload student belongings onto the sidewalk/ground. Once unloaded, vehicles will be directed away from the buildings to a campus parking lot. A shuttle will bring drivers back to the Residence Halls.
Will there be anyone to assist us move-in to the room?
Our Mover & Shaker program provides volunteers all day to help with freshmen move-in. These upperclassmen wear recognizable brightly-colored t-shirts and are easy to spot. Items are unloaded from your vehicle to the sidewalk, and are then brought up to your student’s room by these volunteers.
How will the weather conditions effect move-in?
Move-in will happen rain or shine. If it looks like rain, consider weather proofing items with trash bags and/or use plastic containers since it is a certainty that items will be exposed to the elements for a short period of time before they are moved to your student’s room. Make sure to wear appropriate clothing and drink lots of fluids.
What happens when we get to the residence hall?
The actual check-in process is a little more involved than just receiving a room key. Resident Assistants (RAs) will help with this process by verifying your student’s paperwork, explaining the room condition report (an inventory of your student’s room), issuing keys, and answering any other questions you or your student may have at the time of check-in. Due to the number of students arriving, the lines can get long, so having patience is important.
Are there any vehicle regulations that we need to know about?
Yes! Only one vehicle per student is allowed in our staging areas at a time. So if you are bringing multiple cars, park one in a lot and drive the other one to the appropriate staging area or hall. Once you have finished unloading one vehicle, you can go and do it all again. Also, no trailers, oversized vehicles, or moving vans are allowed in the staging areas. Finally, drivers must always stay with the vehicle when you are unloading it! Once your vehicle is unloaded, go park it. A shuttle bus will be running all day to bring you from the parking areas back up to the Residence Halls.
What is available in the local Lock Haven community?
Forget something? Need something? K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Lowe’s, and various grocery stores are all nearby. If you have any questions, please ask a staff member.