Applying for Financial Aid for Graduate School

Graduate students who would like financial aid will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which can be done online at Because some of the questions might be confusing, additional guidance is provided below.

Under the student status questions, the applicant is asked to answer “At the beginning of the school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program?”

  • You should answer "YES" to this question.
  • By answering yes to one or more questions in the student status section, you will automatically be considered an independent student.
  • You will receive a pop-up box asking if you wish to provide parental information on the FAFSA - it will indicate that some schools require this information.
  • Lock Haven University does not require parental information for students seeking a master's degree.
  • If you are submitting your FAFSA to other schools, you should check with their Financial Aid Office to determine if you need to put parental information on your FAFSA.

There is a question referring to your grade level and another question on the degree you are seeking: “Degree or Certificate you will be working on during the upcoming year.”

  • You will answer Graduate or professional degree

When asked about your grade level the options available are:

  • You will answer Graduate Student (first year or after first year)