Awarding of Financial Aid/Loans

Students seeking a Master's Degree, who have submitted a FAFSA, are typically only eligible for loans. Once a student receives his/her first bachelor's degree, he or she is no longer eligible for federal or state grants.

Each student who has a FAFSA on file and is enrolled at LHU will receive a financial aid award letter that lists the aid the student is eligible. This can also be viewed online on the myHaven site. Because graduate students are not eligible for grants, typically all that is listed on the award letter is loans.

As a Graduate Student, you are eligible for up to $20,500 for one academic year in Unsubsidized Loan funds.

To qualify for Direct Stafford Loans:

  • You must be enrolled for at least half time in a degree-seeking graduate program each term to qualify for the Federal Stafford Loan. Half time for most programs is 6 credits per semester.
  • You must be maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress. For more information about Satisfactory Academic Progress, please review the Satisfactory Academic Progress Document.
  • You must not be in default of any other federal loan to qualify for federal aid.
  • Have completed a FAFSA for the academic year in which you are applying for the loan.

Please Note: If it is the student’s intention to receive a Federal Direct Stafford Loan, he or she must complete an Entrance Counseling session and Master Promissory Note before the funds will be sent to LHU. These steps can be completed at Even if a student has completed these steps as an undergraduate student, all students must have a current MPN on file and have completed entrance counseling for LHU.

For more information about Direct Stafford Loans, please review the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Document.