Application Process for Veteran Education Benefits

In order to certify your enrollment to the Veteran Affair's Office, the Financial Aid Office will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility letter. This letter is different from Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)

In order to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, visit

  • Click on the drop down box "Veteran Services" and then "GI Bill"
  • Half way down the page it will say "Apply for Benefits"
  • It will prompt you to fill out the VONAPP
  • Once that is completed, you will receive your Certificate of Eligibility in the mail
  • Bring that document to LHU's Financial Aid Office with your ID number on it.

Please make sure to fully complete and submit the application to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), along with all supporting documents. Supporting documents can be submitted to the VA by uploading them to a computer and attaching them to the application; by mailing them to the VA Regional Office at the address on the confirmation page received after submission of the application; or by faxing them to the VA Regional Office at (716) 857-3296.

After successfully applying online, and being approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. Please submit a copy of your online application and Certificate of Eligibility to the Financial Aid office in 118 Russell Hall, or fax to (570) 484-2918. Keep in mind that the processing time at the VA can run as long as six to eight weeks, and even longer during peak processing times.

When your enrollment is certified you will receive an automated email from the VA.

PLEASE NOTE: If you add/drop classes, completely withdraw, or decide not to attend a semester, please notify the Financial Aid Office immediately. Also, if you make ANY changes to your schedule (adding classes/dropping classes) you need to notify the Financial Aid Office of these changes.

For other information, including questions regarding your eligibility, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) or by e-mail at You may also find answers to many of your questions on the GI Bill website at

Application Process for EAP

If you are already a member of the Pennsylvania National Guard, contact the readiness NCO (Noncommissioned Officer) at your unit of assignment. The whole application process is completed through NCO and LHU will be notified of your eligibility when the semester begins.

Application Process for FTA

The application for FTA is available on LHU will be notified only once during the semester who is eligible for FTA. Applications for FTA need to be completed before the start of the semester. Please submit a copy of your approval to the Financial Aid Office. Once the funds have been received, the student will receive an email indicating a change to their financial aid and should check their MyHaven account for more details.