Financial Aid Impact from Withdawing from LHU

In accordance with Federal regulations, those students who receive federal financial aid and who officially withdraw from Lock Haven University during the first 60% of a term will have their federal financial aid adjusted.

The adjustment is based on the percentage of calendar days usedin the academic period. This percent is calculated by dividing the number of days in the term (excluding breaks of five days or longer) into the number of days completed prior to the withdrawal (excluding breaks of five days or longer).

The date of withdrawal will be the date the student beginsthe withdrawal process, unless there is documentation of class attendance beyond that date. Students who wish to withdraw from LHU should complete the Change of Enrollment Status form.  

Students who do not follow the official withdrawal procedure, but who stop attending classes for all of their courses will be considered to have withdrawn at the 50% point of the term unless attendance is documented after that time. Attendance is tracked electronically for students taking Distance Education courses. Distance education students should follow the official withdrawal procedure and base their official withdrawal date on their actual last date of attendance (i.e. course participation). There will be no adjustment to Federal Student Aid after the completion of more than 60% of the term.

Once the amount of federal funds to be returned has been calculated, the funds will be returned in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Subsidized Stafford Loans
  • Perkins Loans
  • PLUS Loans
  • Pell Grants
  • Academic Competitiveness Grants
  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants
  • Federal TEACH Grants

Students who received a refund from the Student Accounts Office prior to withdrawing from the University may owe a repayment of federal financial aid funds received. Students will be billed and given 30 (thirty) days to repay the funds to the University. Students who fail to repay the unearned portion of federal financial aid funds given to them will become ineligible for continued receipt of financial aid until such time as the repayment is made. In addition, students who have an outstanding balance, will not be eligible to register until the balance is paid in full. For more information regarding payment or holds on account, please contact the Student Accounts Office.