Summer Program Students

To determine eligibility to receive Federal Student Aid (FSA) in the summer 2015 sessions, new accepted students must file a 2014-2015 FAFSA. Although the absolute deadline to file a 2014-2015 FAFSA is June 30, 2015, students are urged to file their FAFSA before they begin their summer classes at LHU.

If it is determined that a student is eligible to receive FSA for the summer session, a paper notification will be sent to the student’s permanent home address. Awarded aid can also be viewed in myHaven, under the “Financial Aid tab”, in “Financial Aid Awards”.

As long as the FAFSA is submitted timely, awarded summer aid will also appear on the summer bill that is sent by the Student Accounts Office.

Steps to Receive Financial Aid for the Summer Sessions

  1. Accept offer of admission to begin in the summer. Please contact the Admissions Office with questions regarding this requirement.
  2. Have a complete 2014-2015 FAFSA on file with LHU listed. Please submit at least one month prior to June 22, 2015.
  3. Complete Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note. See Federal Direct Student Loans below for details.
  4. If needed, apply for an additional loan (PLUS or Alternative) to cover costs not covered by FSA for summer.


Specific Aid Programs Details

Federal Pell Grant: The Financial Aid Office will automatically review summer Pell Grant eligibility for all enrolled students who have a current FAFSA on file.

Federal Direct Student Loans: In order for students to receive Federal Direct Student Loans in the summer, they must have submitted a FAFSA, be registered half-time (usually six credits) over the course of the summer, completed Entrance Counseling for LHU, and have a current Master Promissory Note on file. To complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note, please log in at

Federal Direct PLUS Loans: As with the Direct Student Loan, students must be enrolled on a half time basis (typically six credits) to be eligible to receive this loan, even if a parent or graduate student has been approved.

  • Dependent students may have a parent apply for the Direct Parent PLUS Loan as an additional resource.
  • If a student’s parent is denied the Direct Parent PLUS Loan, the student may be eligible for additional Direct Unsubsidized Loan funding.
  • Parents must apply for the PLUS Loan online at and complete a Master Promissory Note if approved.

Alternative Educational Loans/ Private Loans: an additional loan option for students who needs further assistance for summer educational expenses. 

  • Alternative loans are not a government program and are available through private lenders.
  • Interest rates and terms of the loans may vary depending on the loan program the student wishes to utilize.
  • Students typically need a credit worthy cosigner to have their loan application approved.
  • More information about Alternative Loans can be found on the Financial Aid Office Webpage under the “Types of Financial Aid” tab.

Non-Matriculated Students

In order to qualify for FSA, students must be enrolled in a degree seeking program. Because non-matriculated students do not meet this condition, they are not eligible for State or Federal Aid programs. Please note that students enrolled in the Jump Start Program and EOP are considered degree seeking students and are eligible for financial aid as long as a FAFSA is filed.