Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree and who demonstrate need as determined by the U.S. Department of Education. The amounts can change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $5,645 for the 2013-14 award year. The amount you receive will depend on your financial need, your cost of attendance, your enrollment status, and your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. You may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

TEACH is a federal grant for current and prospective teachers created by the College Cost Reduction Act of 2007. Eligible students may receive up to $4,000 per academic year. Aggregate amounts are $16,000 for students for their first undergraduate degree. To be eligible for a Teach Grant at Lock Haven University, a student must complete the FAFSA, have a 3.25 cumulative GPA, have been granted degree candidacy by their education department and be pursuing a degree in a high needs field. Currently the following areas are considered high needs fields: Bilingual education; English Language Acquisition; Foreign Language; Mathematics; Reading Specialist; Science; and Special Education. Once it has been determined that a student meets all criteria for eligibility, s/he must complete a counseling session as well as an “agreement to serve/promise to pay”. By signing this agreement the student acknowledges an understanding of the terms of the grant and the terms of the teaching service requirements. Upon graduation, the student must teach full-time for at least four years within eight years of completing his or her program as a highly qualified teacher at a Title I school in a high needs field. If these conditions are not met, the grant must be repaid as an unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan, with interest calculated from the date(s) of original disbursement. For more information about the TEACH Grant, please visit .

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The SEOG grant is provided by the federal government for distribution by Lock Haven University. The Financial Aid Office automatically considers every Pell-eligible student for SEOG and will award it to those who demonstrate the greatest need and have a FAFSA filed by the suggested filing date of March 15. Funds are limited.

Pennsylvania State Grant (PHEAA State Grant)

The Pennsylvania State Grant is awarded to the residents of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania by the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA). To be considered for a Pennsylvania State Grant, students must complete a FAFSA by May 1 and if determined eligible, complete the Pennsylvania State Grant Form. Students who have already received a Pennsylvania State Grant in a previous year, typically only need to submit a FAFSA to receive the grant. The amount of the state grant is determined when the student and the University receive official notification from PHEAA. Students working on their first bachelor’s degree can receive up to 8 semesters of full-time grant awards. If a student is enrolled for additional semesters (more than 8) including summer, they will not receive a grant for all semesters enrolled.

In addition to general eligibility criteria, students are not eligible for the Pennsylvania State Grant if their academic program is online in nature, or if they are enrolled in more online courses than face to face courses, on a semester basis. LHU is required to review enrollment each semester and report this information to PHEAA. For more information about PHEAA’s policies please see the Pennsylvania State Grant Program Manual.

Students can apply for a state grant to help with summer costs; however this will count as part of the grants they are eligible to receive. In addition, over the summer students must be enrolled for at least six credits and over an eight week period of time, two summer sessions. To apply for a summer grant go to Applications can only be submitted after April 1st.

Other State Grants

Out of state students may be eligible for a grant from the state of their residence. These states include CT, DE, MA, ME, OH, RI, VT, WV, and the District of Columbia. Students must contact the appropriate state grant agency for more information. Students are urged to check with their state grant office regarding application and deadline dates.