2014 LHU Foundation Scholarship Opportunities
Returning Student Scholarships
The LHU Foundation Spring 2014 General Scholarship Application is now available online. This is an online application. If you would prefer to complete a paper version, you may download it here. (For new incoming student scholarships click here.)
Lock Haven University General Foundation Scholarships are awarded during the spring semester and provide recognition and financial assistance to selected students who meet certain criteria.
There are two ways in which the selection process takes place:
- Recipients are chosen by a departmental committee which establishes its own process, policies, procedures and deadlines or
- A Lock Haven University scholarship committee selects the recipients.
The scholarships are listed according to department or activity within each college and the Foundation.
STUDENT APPLICANTS, please watch for department announcements and contact the chairperson of the department for selection process information and department deadlines.
If applying for departmental scholarships you must submit your completed application directly to the Department Contact Person listed.
If the scholarship falls within the category of “General Scholarships,” you must complete the entire application form and submit it to the Enrollment Management Office by the deadline.
- Note deadlines
- It is important to have completed applications returned by deadlines so they can be
processed in time for recipients to be included in the award ceremonies
- Students who are interested in those scholarships awarded by departments are instructed
to contact the department chairperson for application procedure and department deadlines.
Applications are to be completed and submitted to the appropriate department. Unless
noted otherwise, deadline for scholarship application submission is Friday, February 14, 2014
- Students applying for General Foundation Scholarships must return completed applications
to the Enrollment Management Office in Sullivan 310 by Friday, February 14, 2014
- Foundation awards and scholarships are presented at the Spring Convocation (Date and Time TBD)
- Recipients must attend the Convocation ceremony and write a letter of thanks to the donor in order to receive awards. This requirement may be waived only by the office of Enrollment Management
- Amounts of Awards are an approximation of what is likely to be available
- Some awards may be divided among multiple recipients
- Monetary awards will be applied to the succeeding semesters’ accounts in the Financial Aid Office. Awards of $500 or more will be split between the next two semesters
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is responsible for making selections?
Most recipients are selected by departmental scholarship committees. There are some scholarships and awards which are processed by a committee comprised of representatives across the LHU community. Those awards given by departments and those given by the Foundation Committee are listed.
Is financial status considered when making selections?
Financial need is often among the criteria stated in the scholarship when established by the donor, while in some cases, it is eliminated. When not included in the selection statement, if applications have equal qualifications, financial status may become a consideration.
Will an award affect your financial aid?
Federal and State guidelines require that other financial aid be taken into consideration. However, should a reduction be necessary, it will occur in the loan area rather than in the scholarship.
Is there any obligation involved with the scholarship program?
The awards are "gifts" with no repayment required. We do require you to attend the Award Convocation and write a thank you letter to the donor.
Do recipients have to attend Convocation?
Attendance is mandatory in order to receive awards. This is a ceremony which not only recognizes the student recipients but also the benefactors who have established the scholarships and may be present.