Career Planning Timeline
- Visit the Center for Career & Professional Development (CCPD) and familiarize yourself with its web site and the many links and resources.
- Log on to FOCUS (found on the CCPD’s website) and complete the assessments to identify interests, values, skills and personality preferences. Use your results, experiences and aspirations to write a personalized Action Plan on FOCUS.
- Familiarize yourself with various majors. Attend the Majors Fair. Talk to faculty and upper-classmen.
- Attend the Club Fair. Participate in activities and clubs to explore interests and develop new skills.
- Start conducting informational interviews and job shadow professionals.
- Attend career related events, workshops, presentations, job fairs.
- Begin to develop your resume and take it to the Center for Career & Professional Development (CCPD).
- Consider a summer job that will allow you to experience something you are interested in.
- Review and update your FOCUS Action Plan and make any revisions or additions.
- Select a major. Consider a minor.
- Utilize the resources on the CCPD website (www.lhup.edu/career) to explore possible career paths.
- Continue to conduct informational interviews and job shadow professionals.
- Participate in volunteer service related to your career interests.
- Attend career-related events to obtain information and establish connections.
- Update your resume and develop your LinkedIn profile.
- Explore study-abroad programs and plan for an international experience.
- Begin planning for a summer internship.
- Use InterviewStream to prepare for interviews.
- Gather more information about careers and the job market. Review general career trends and employer needs.
- Evaluate your career options and set goals.
- If considering graduate or professional school, begin researching potential programs.
- Strengthen your resume. Prepare your “elevator speech.”
- Join the LHU Alumni LinkedIn group and other professional network groups of interest.
- Attend job fairs and other professional events and establish contacts in your field.
- Acquire additional skills and experience in your chosen field through an internship, summer job or other work/volunteer experience.
- Choose your career direction and develop a personal job search plan.
- Identify and research potential employers.
- Network and reach out to contacts in your field.
- Apply to graduate schools and register to take necessary exams.
- Sharpen interviewing skills. Utilize InterviewStream. Schedule a mock interview in the CCPD.
- Finalize your resume and LinkedIn profile, and identify potential references.
- Attend job fairs on- and off-campus.
- Register on LHU CareerConnections.
- Utilize the resources on the CCPD website (www.lhup.edu/career) to search and apply for jobs.
- Analyze job offers/graduate school admissions and weigh options