Student Teach Abroad
Education majors have the opportunity to student teach abroad through LHU’s international partnerships. Education majors (PreK -4/ Early childhood, Middle/Elementary 4-8, and Secondary Education) can student teach at two program sites: Mexico and Croatia. Students are eligible to participate in the program after successfully completing their first 6 week student teaching placement locally, then, they are placed abroad for their second 6 weeks placement.
Reasons to student teach abroad:
- Learn about the educational system of another country
- Great experience to put on your resume-all competing for same jobs, you will stand out with abroad experience
- Gain perspective on US educational system
- Gain experience working with students from a different cultural background
- Practice Spanish (if you have studied it since middle school)
- Learn a new language
- Have great stories about your travels and experiences to tell your future students back in PA or wherever you land
- Inspire your future students to go abroad and learn about the world
- Travel during school breaks (visit London, Madrid, or Paris)
Interested students should meet with Dr. Meredith Seiler, coordinator for Student Teaching Placements early in their academic career. As in the student teaching placement in the US, students work with a cooperating teaching at the international site, and keep in contact with their LHU supervisor by email. A qualified onsite supervisor will conduct the mandatory classroom observations.
Students pay LHU tuition and fees for the student teaching block of courses, and an additional program fee of $1500 (used to pay supervising teachers abroad). Students also pay room and board directly to the host institution.
Click here to download an International Student Teaching Application form.